Sunday, January 18, 2009

What We Really MIss About the 1950's By Stephanie Coontz

Ms. Coontz does a alot of research in this article. She exposes alot of information and did some in-depth analyzing of number from different time periods of the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and even up into the 90's.

Something unique about her research is that she seems to be looking for the real reason one may miss the 1950's or is just a cliche because it is a time period that people who lived during those times had fun, times were great, the money was good, the war was over America was thriving and prospering.

Coontz could also be asking a question why would you want to go back to the 50's? Were the times that good? Did we really have that great? This being the results of her research, she is like laying all the numbers on the table and saying here are your 1950's, were they that good?

What i find interesting is that we have a nostalgia for some time in our life that was enjoyable and memorable. I think we find that most often our younger days have more meaning and set us up for who we are going to be in life and when our lives do not turn out how we expected or we just run into old friends and we get to thinking about how swell our lives were back then and wish we could go back and relive those magical moments again.

3 comments:

  1. Steve-
    Thank you for the great post on Stephanie Coontz chapter in our text book. It seems to me that you appreciate the fact that she did a lot of research for that piece. I think that it’s great that people would like to experience a different time. However I wouldn't like to live in another time period just visit them for a short time just to get a little taste of that it was like then. What do you think would you like to live in a different time or would you only want to visit? I also agree with the fact that we do look back on our childhood and think of how "swell" life was back then and wish to go back.
    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, great post. I like your second paragraph when you wrote, "Something unique about her research is that she seems to be looking for the real reason one may miss the 1950's..." I felt that same way as I read this story. Some of our most vivid memories come from sources like the TV, radio, movies etc. At times I wonder if some of my past experiences are real, or if I'm just recalling an episode from the "Brady Bunch".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve I think you are so right on your comment. Most of the time the better years of out lives where when we were younger and happier. For me I try not to think about the past or what could I have done differently because the past it the past & nothing we could do could bring it back. The archicle is great becaue compares different time periods, but your post was great.

    ReplyDelete